Sunday, June 22, 2008

BangKok-Thailand


Bangkok- Thailand

As a tourist, of course I visited most popular sight-seeing spot at Damnoen Saduak Floating Market in Bangkok (pic 1). They sell almost everything on the small boats. I can never forget the golden color of mangoes and bananas under the sun. The Floating Market is already packed with tourists by 9am. Not enjoying with crowds, I went to much quieter streets to get some Jack fruits (pic 3). Jack fruit has an unique subtle taste, not very juicy. They sell it in Toronto’s China town also, at Spadina and Dundas Street.

Luckily my stomach has no problem with street food. I tried small portion of variety street foods all day long. Quail eggs weren’t something new to me (Pic 7). A quail egg is roughly one-fifth the size of a chicken egg and it taste just like chicken egg for me. But they have beautiful black spotted shell and internal of the shell is pale sea foam color. I was surprised they have a table of fried quail eggs lined up for sell. They sell 10 quail eggs on each plate. In a hot summer day, it wasn’t something that I really want to eat for lunch; besides, I know I can get them easily in Toronto.

More interesting street food would be local bugs and worms. I ran into someone who only sells insects at the night market. With language barrier, I couldn’t chat with the locals. I heard the stories of farms catch fresh bugs at their houses and cook “the bug of the day”. I wasn’t brave enough to try them and I am not regret either. People who tried them told me the worm taste like French Fries. You have to try it yourself to know it for sure. My friend Jérôme told me that he ate bat in Thailand. I would try it if I see them next time.

I have to admit I am not really interested in worms at all, neither those shopping mall food (Pic 2 & Pic 6). I didn’t spend too much time to inspect what are those things: fruit dessert on thin bread (maybe another version of Japanese pizza?) and highly food-colored flour jellos.

The last 2 days in Bangkok, I visited my Korean friend who works there. He brought me to a Korean restaurant in Korean community in Bangkok. I was recommended to try a very traditional dish: raw minced beef mixed with a raw egg, onion and some sauce. All they told me that is a special cut of the beef. I am surprised it is very tasty. I hope I can find them in Toronto’s Korean town. Speaking of which, I eat quite often Korean food in Toronto. I was quite happy that restaurants always give free small dishes of appetizers to accompany the main dish (normally is 3-5 small dishes). Until I saw Korean restaurant in Bangkok gave us almost 15 small dishes besides the main meal. My Korean friend told me that it is a tradition to cover the table with dishes to show hospitality to guests. I guess they are cutting corners in Toronto.

3 comments:

NickS said...

You are so right about Toronto's Korean restaurants! They rarely give more than three banchan (반찬) here.

Tijen said...

I have to visit all those places. Thanks for sharing and thanks for leting me know about your blog!

TAO said...

i went a restaurant called: Korean house in little Korean
they give us 7 banchan (반찬) for 2 main order dishes, but one of dish (fried squid) is not good at all.