Sunday, April 26, 2009

Black Cuttlefish ink with Rice


Since I did not get a chance to try black pasta in Italy, when I saw they have black rice in Barcelona, I was so excited. At least, I get to try the cuttlefish ink. It is commonly used in Spanish coastal area. That is why you can see Black Rice on the menu everywhere in Barcelona.
I went to a small place near the famous street La Rambla, where it sells many typical Catalana foods, but nothing fancy. I could go to more fancy traditional restaurant to try it, maybe will be more amazing. But that was at 16pm, most restaurant is closed- that was a late lunch.

The plate looks a bit scary to try, but actually it is very tasty. For sure they know what they are doing. The cuttlefish ink brings a lot of sea taste to the rice. As for the shrimp and mussel, they are fresh but nothing special. It is all about the black ink!

I want to buy some black ink back home. But they say those sold in supermarket are really fresh, therefore, not very good. According to the Internet, just remove small black sack and then squish them to get the ink. I should try it one day…

No comments: