Friday, July 25, 2008

Ice Cream Revenge


I remember long long long time age ago….

One winter afternoon, I wanted my dad to buy me some ice-cream but he refused just because it is winter. For some weird reason, I was strongly craving for ice cream that day and started crying all the way home. He let me cried for hours and eventually I felt asleep on the bed. From the day, I can’t wait to become an adult, and then I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.
I called my parents once I bought an ice cream machine, but that is 20 years too late, they don’t care when I eat ice-cream anymore. Timing in life is so important…

As for the ice-cream machine, it is from CUISINART (under $100). The machine is small and handy for household use. So far I made mango sherbet, lime sherbet, vanilla ice-cream, and espresso ice-cream. I recommend anyone to buy an ice-cream machine. The machine makes sherbet and ice-cream perfectly, but Gelato turned out bit icy. I don’t know if it is because of the machine or the refrigerator.

It is really easy to make ice-cream, just need to mix all ingredient together. Not like Gelato, it requires cooking all ingredients. The differences between those are: Sherbet has only whole milk in it, Ice-cream contains whole milk and heavy cream, and Gelato has whole milk, heavy cream and egg yolks. One pound of Gelato contains 4 egg yolks. I used organic milk and eggs, so it is not a cheap homemade ice-cream, but quality is better. Over the years I have affection of Gelato, because it sounds so exotic. Sadly discover there are so much eggs in it, I’d better watch my cholesterol level.

And for those who are vegans, I didn’t mean to destroy your last bit of pleasure, but there is milk in Sherbet according to the receipt in my book. Don’t lie to yourself, unless whole milk is replaced by soymilk or something else. You never know what kind of commercial tricks they have! It would be interesting to know.

Pic : Frozen yogurt with jam & blue berry

No comments: