Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Singapore



The diversity of South Asia population highly reflected on Singapore food. Restaurants are everywhere filled up with all kinds of yummy goodies. However, if you ask if the food have MSG or not, you probably won’t get a firm answer, just like in China. Grown up in China, I can understand that they don’t care much, as long as it tastes good.

According to the food guide, chili crab and curry fish head is a local specialty. Unfortunately, not many restaurant cooks curry fish head often. Even some places advertising on their menu, they run out of stock the day I visited them. As for crab, I had it in a very tourist area in China town (pic 1). The crab is cooked in a sweet and sour chili sauce. Looking around, I am the only one there to get my hands dirty, eating bites pieces of crab meat. It is not my favorite way of eating crab, because I found the chili sauce is over-powering the subtle crab meat. But it is still delicious with the Heaven and Earth Jasmine Green Tea.

Singapore is really a seafood heaven for me. I saw some interesting seafood that I have never seen them before (pic3,4,6). No. 3 is a funky-looking shrimp, cooked in curry sauce. No.4 is bit over-cooked for my liking, or maybe those types are supposed to be tougher. No.6 is half-cooked with sauce on the side. The restaurant owner said it is suppose to eat half raw, which is really delicious. I didn’t even dip them with the sauce. The clam itself is fully of the taste of the sea, very unique and strong. The first time I tried it in China town, I was worried that my tourist stomach won’t get along with the local food. But it turns out fine, so I had another plate the next day. I wish I can have seafood everyday!

It may sound cruel to some people, but you have to cook seafood while they are alive. Simply dead seafood changes the meat texture, especially for crabs, most of fishes and shrimp. And it is true; I can taste the difference, just like other people grow up near the sea. In Toronto’s China town, they sell some live fishes and crabs, but live shrimps are very expensive if there is any. In Montreal China town, I didn’t even find live fishes.

Next, it is time for dessert. After a big plate of shrimp, I can hardly walk. A meal like that is not healthy, since I didn’t eat any vegetables. Oh, well, I am traveling, can be excused. I asked the waiter what are local special desserts? Considering Singapore is 24 hours flight from Toronto, I have to fully benefit my one week stay. Durian dessert caught my attention. Durian fruits are native to South East Asian, mainly Malay Peninsula. They have been a delicacy for the inhabitants. Its’ spiky appearance is easy to be spotted in Toronto’s China town also. I didn’t remember when the last time I tried Durian was. All I remember is its’ strong smell. In Thailand subway, a sign clearly stated that “NO Durian” in subways. For exotic reason, I ordered durian dessert. It comes in a clear glass cup (pic2). The light brown part is the durian, almost like mash potato, but with durian taste. I have no idea what are the green worming thing on top, obviously, they are food-colored. If you like durian, you will like the dessert. After trying them many times, I started to like the strong taste, not for everyday though.

After that meal, I can’t stuff anything down anymore. Even Ana (a friend) call me “hollow legs”, I have a limit too. But just looking around, taking some pics give me pleasures. I would love to find out what is No.5? I saw them in Indian town. Some Chinese restaurant has beautifully crafted their dessert into small piece animal shapes. Cuteness always sells in Asia.

2 comments:

Tijen said...

Thanks for your comment. I'll be a frequent visitor!

Anonymous said...

Haha, you are the firt one who says chili sauce overpowers crab meat! I like pepper crab even more which has stronger flavour. Hmm...anyway I agree with your idea that Singapore is a seafood heaven. But when I think of Singapore food back in Korea, the very thing that I miss is kaya toast with strong candy coffee! They used to rescue my miserable stomach every morning:)