Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ginger –cheap Asian style with No Tips

Ginger –cheap Asian style with No Tips

The restaurant named Ginger is located on 521 Bloor st west, which is the one I always go. They have other locations on Church Street and Carlton Street. You pay the bill before you eat the food and you pick up your own cutlery and water. They do bring food to your table. Tip is not required just like in Asia.

They claim they cook Vietnamese cuisine with no MSG. However the soup they served tastes like MSG stock for me. Maybe there wasn’t any additional MSG added, that is what they meant.

I never tried their vermicelli and rolls. The two dishes I always get are : Fried Fish w/Ginger Lime sauce $ green mango on rice and curry Lamb with Rice. ($7.25, great price!)

The fried fish is addictive but deep frying stuff easily gave me pimples. For those have no reaction to the frying food, I highly recommend the dish. It goes so well with the sour /sweat sauce and green mango salad.

In winter, I can’t get sick of curry lamb. They are so good! Big chunks of lamb are tender with potatoes or someday taros soaked in curry. I prefer taros because the subtle flavor but you have to try your luck at Ginger.

It is a nice restaurant if you are looking for cheap and decent Asian food. Although I heard the pad Thai is not so good, try it yourself!

No comments: