Sunday, August 3, 2008

Toronto Turkish Festival


It is hold at Young-Dundas Square, from August 2-3, 2008. Their website is: http://www.torontoturkishfestival.org/festival/index.asp?idx=SPONSORS_ALL

We all know Young-Dundas Square is tiny, so I don’t expect a big festival there. Just as I expected, there is only one main stage with some dancing, music. Since there is Turkish food, I have to check it out.

Besides Turkish coffee and tea, it is really impressive to see that Turkish women make Gözleme at the spot (see lower corner of Pic). $5 each

Gözleme is a savory Traditional Turkish handmade and Hand rolled pastry. Fresh pastry is rolled out, the thinly rolled out dough is then filled and sealed, then cooked over a griddle, traditionally this is done on a saç. “ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6zleme

At the festival, they only have choice of potato or cheese. I tried a cheese one. It is too salty for me, otherwise it is quite tasty. I bet the one with spinach, feta and minced meat will be really good.

Hmm, and the meat are sooooo good!! I have never seen that giant pile of meat before. Unfortunately with $5 plate dish, they only give you tiny amount of meat. If I can I would buy a few pounds home.

As for desserts, they are really good and very sweat. I especially love pistachio in the dessert. $1 per dessert.

Overall, it is fun to try some Turkish food with music and dance. But the dollar doesn’t give you the best value.

No comments: