Friday, December 25, 2009

Dutch tradition – Raw herring

The soused herring is an especially mild salt herring, which is made from young immature herrings. The herrings are ripened for a couple of days in oak barrels in a salty solution, or brine. The pancreatic enzymes, which support the ripening, make this version of salt herring especially mild and soft. This process of preparing herring (known as "gibbing") was developed in the Middle Ages by the Dutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring

I have been told that herring season is in the summer and there are venders everywhere on the streets. Although I went to Amsterdam in the wrong season, I have to try the real thing! I was lucky enough to find one street stand at my last day in Amsterdam. The street booth is in a residential area (a good sign!). Also some customers told me that it is their favorite place.

One old man was peeling the herring skin on the spot. The fish looks gluey. The process was not that appealing to me. But after a kind customer allowed me to try one piece of herring from his plate, I decided to order one serving for myself. I dipped the herring into raw onions and it is really tender and fresh! Just like they said: it is like sushi but bit salty!

That booth also sells deep-fried fish, but they were cold. The quality of fishes was good. But microwaving the deep-fried food is never the best.

No comments: