Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fried Lamb Intestines


After one day at Reina Sofia museum, I went to a food court just one block from the museum, right across the train station. That place claimed that they have the best-fried calamari in Madrid (advertised on their signage). In Madrid people put fried calamari with a sandwich bun. At lunchtime, the place is full of people.

I wanted to try something new, so I pointed a picture and had no idea what I ordered. It looks like chicken, later I founded out it is zarajos: a very typical traditional of Basin (Spain) prepared based on intestines of young lamb marinated that later are rolled up in a vine and themselves fried in olive oil or they are roasted in an oven until they remain golden. I like the outside part: crispy with strong flavor. But the non-fried intestine taste is too strong and gamey; I had a hard time to finish 3 of them.

The blood sausage sandwich is truly a delicious. The Spanish blood sausage morcilla contains pork blood and fat, rice, onions, and salt. In Italy, I had the ones without rice. I like the Spanish version better because the crisp of the rice add extra texture and the blood taste less strong.

No comments: