Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pizza in Rome

When I was a student in college, I ate so many pizzas from Pizza Pizza on the campus (note: there were not many choices). They are greasy with thick dry crusts. When I graduated from the school, I swore never go into pizza joint again! I thought all pizzas are like that and just the thought gave me stomachache. However the trip to Italy really changed my mind: fresh good quality ingredients, variety of choices and all backed in traditional wood-fired brick oven. Just look at all pics, make you mouth water! All freshly made, no frozen pizzas!!!


Pizza with gorgonzola cheese (veined Italian blue cheese) and apple (in Rome).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgonzola_(cheese)

I love the sweetness of the apples mixed with creamy cheese. I also like it better because the thin crust (Roman style!) The opposite of Roman style thin crust pizza will be the Chicago deep-dish pizza. Looks interesting haven’t had opportunity to try it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Pizza with eggplant and cheese.



Condadina pizza with mozzarella, eggplant, zucchini, anchovy, mushroom and cherry tomatoes.


Pizza with black truffle and cheese. but the black truffle mushroom was not fresh.


Again Pizza (on the right ) black truffle and cheese. Truffle was not fresh but with very strong aroma. I am suspicious that they use synthetic truffle aroma to enhance the flavor.
Pizza (on the left )with prosciutto and arugula salad.

That is my favorite combination: Creamy hardy mozzarella, soft flowers and salty anchovies.


Pizza (on top) is mixed cheese with tomato sauce. Compare with the one I had is very simple.
Pizza (bottom) is my greedy yummy creation: artichokes, mushrooms, arugula salad, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella. I basically ask them to put all my favorite ingredients.

That pizzeria also has an antique olive-oil grinding device. Nowadays was placed in the center of the pizzeria for decoration. Quite rustic homey place 30 min Nord of Rome (in Castel Nuovo).

No comments: