Saturday, May 30, 2009

Blood Sausage


Black pudding or blood pudding is an English term for sausage made by cooking blood with filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. It is also called blood sausage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

I did not know that blood sausage is an international food. The link shows that it has been widely used in Asia, Europe and Americans.

I do know about the "blood tofu" in Mainland China. When I was young, my mother used to collect chicken blood after killing it. After the cooked blood cool down it becomes solid like tofu. Then she put them in the soup to add flavor. I never liked it even it is good for health (that is what they say). It has a strong blood taste and I hate it.

To my surprise, when I tried blood sausage in Lyon and Florence, I loved it! What a great idea to make blood sausage with nuts. Meat, fat or fillers gave lots flavors to the sausage so it does not taste like blood. Although it does have a strong taste, at least it is not pure blood like the "blood tofu" in China.

No comments: