Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fasolari – Italian big clam


I tried several clam dishes in Palermo. Simple cooking, fresh ingredient and taste great!
The next day in a big open market near the central train station I saw them again. This time the big clam Fasolari caught my attention (top pic). They are palm-size big clam with brown stripes on the shells. The curious ones like to stick their red-orange part of body out in the air. The one in the top left picture is after cooked- so it was wide open. In the market I taped a video of their clam body (the red part) sneak out of the shell and padding in the container.

In restaurant was 1 euro each while in market was about 8 euro a kilo. I bought some and prepare to go home to cook. But when my friend’s mom saw them, she told me that she always eating them raw. Why not? They are still alive so there was no danger eating them raw. We cut them open with a simple kitchen knife, enjoying them with a dash of fresh squeezed lemon juice and some wine. I like it better eating raw. It was so fresh and has its own unique taste, so need extra spices needed.

No comments: