Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slow cooked Fat


If you think the fried rice ball is not healthy, wait to hear about this:

As I was strolling around alone in Palermo in a beautiful sunny day, I saw few people around a street vendor. He had a small container on the side but it was covered. Everyone was buying from him. He took something out from that container then put on a sandwich bun. Since I did not speak Italian, I have no way to ask.

As they saw me curiously standing around, the vendor took some out for me to try: they are the leftover fat (rendered fat from animal over slow cooking). For sure they are fatty but also melt in your mouth. As Chinese, I am a big fun of fatty meat. Just thinking about it makes my mouth watering. I cannot resist buying a sandwich from him (only 1 euro). In travel shows I saw people just eat the fat with nothing else. I also love the bread soaked in the fat juice.
That can make a meal! What a healthy lunch!

No comments: