Sunday, May 17, 2009

Socca in Nice


“Socca is a specialty of southeastern French cuisine, particularly in and around the city of Nice. After being formed into a flat cake and baked in an oven, often on a cast iron pan more than a meter in diameter, the socca is seasoned generously with black pepper and eaten while hot with the fingers. Socca is considered by some to be a chickpea crepe, as the preparation and consistency of the batter is similar. Many brasseries in Nice, especially in the old section (Vieux Nice) near the waterfront, sell a filling portion of socca for €2-3.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socca

Although I had Socca monthly before I tried Farinata, I still remember the taste. They are quite similar. The only difference is where I bought the socca: in a open-air market in Vieux Nice from a over colorful make-up Spanish lady. My friend said she make the best socca there. But eve in bought socca from her, she did not like to be in the pictures.

No comments: