Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Traditional Gelato Breakfast

Who said nobody eating ice cream for breakfast? Sound likes a mother’s talk.
I was so glad to find people like me – eating gelato for breakfast- in Palermo, Sicily. The only difference is that Sicilians put gelato on a bun- interesting concept.

Of course I will not miss that kind of opportunity to enjoy my breakfast: 10 am, my friend and I head to a gelato place near the Palermo train station. I had 2 flavors on the bun: one is pistachio (as always) and the other is Cassata (want to try something new). Cassata gelato flavor comes from the traditional Sicilian Cassata cake (13 Euros for the cake)

"Cassata" is the name given originally to a type of rich sponge cake filled with ricotta, mixed candied zest (another Sicilian specialty), chocolate drops, and pistachio nuts, though it is now also used for the famous ice-cream dessert composed of layers of chocolate and vanilla ice cream filled with whipped cream and candied zest, which was originally called "cassarulata di gelato."

http://www.lacucinaitaliana.it/default.aspx?idPage=1163

I did not enjoy Cassata gelato as much as pistachio because I do not like those colorful preserved fruits; the taste reminds me some Chinese desserts that I never liked. Too bad, at least I tried once!
In terms eating gelato on a bun, is that really special? The buns are just regular buns. I guess it fills you up as if the gelato itself is not enough filling. But it is still a very cool traditional – has its own character.

No comments: