Sunday, May 17, 2009

Nutella



Nutella is the brand name of a hazelnut-based sweet spread registered by the Italian company Ferrero at the end of 1963.

“At the time, there was very little chocolate because cocoa was in short supply due to World War II rationing. So Mr. Ferrero used hazelnuts, which are plentiful in the Piedmont region of Italy (northwest), to extend the chocolate supply.”

http://www.nutellausa.com/history.htm

“Nutella conquered the world soon after it was invented in Piedmont, the northwestern Italian region of which Turin is the capital, and went onto the market in 1964. But the combination of hazelnut and chocolate predated Nutella by a couple of centuries, and, like much brilliant inspiration, was born of necessity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/15/dining/15turin.html

The first time I saw Nutella was in Lyon. A friend has a giant container of Nutella on her kitchen table. That explains how much she loves it. I was reluctantly to try because I do not have sweet tooth. Finally my last day in Milan, a friend Alice convinced me to try it before leaving Italy. She spread a thin layer on a toasted piece of bread. I have to say: it is really good! Nutty flavor with the crispy bread! Now I understand why people are crazy about it.

No comments: