Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sicilian dessert – Cannoli


"Cannoli," tubes of sweet pastry deep-fried and then filled with ricotta and candied peel.
The cannoli were originally prepared at the beginning of spring and for weddings; they consist of a tube of fried dough stuffed with ricotta cream in the shape of sculptured stones venerated as the symbol of the male fertility. For Carnival, a festivity before Lent and also for the pagan feast of the regeneration, cannoli was consumed abundantly. “

http://www.siciliancookingplus.com/dessert/00_desserts.html

This is the research I found out later when I am back home. At the time I did not connect it with the male fertility.
I had a similar one (with pistachio) in Florence and it was too sweet for my liking, so I was reluctant to try it. But my friend in Palermo Sicily told me that anywhere else in Italian will not make as good as in Sicily since it originated from there. I decided to get it another chance and she was right. This real one is not too sweet and taste very fresh.

No comments: