Monday, May 11, 2009

Spleen Sandwich –Street food in Sicily


Like in China, in Italy consumption of organs is quite widespread. One of the most famous street foods is spleen sandwich. I have seen it in travel shows and of course while I am in Palermo, there is no way to miss that.

For me, those street vendors always mysteriously appear with a simple cooking stand when the night approaches. My friend took me to the one, which is near his home and ordered one sandwich for me. There were many people in queue getting a sandwich. The smell of cooking spleen is intense and makes my mouth watering. The vendor put a generous amount of spleen on a small sandwich bun. The bread is soaked with the tasty juice while the meat is so tender. I wish I had eaten second one. As a Chinese, I am deeply in love with street food and for sure I am fall in love with Sicilian food.

I found a cool blog about Sicilian food:

http://siciliamo.blogspot.com/2007/08/street-food.html

Also when I search Street Food - Palermo on youtube, I found some good in-depth video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUZ3JmQGTI&feature=PlayList&p=3FE5D45DFC9BDCB8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

No comments: