Saturday, May 30, 2009

Deep-frying Zucchini Flowers (fiori di zucca)



Everyone knows zucchini as a vegetable. Botanically, however, the zucchini is an immature fruit, being the swollen ovary of the female zucchini flower. Zucchini is Italian in origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini

My first time trying fried zucchini flowers is in Montreal food festival. For 4 dollars they sell 2 pieces with nothing stuffed inside of the flowers. I told my friend in Rome and he laughed at me. Such a rip off!

Luckily he is good cook and he prepared me the best fried zucchini flower I have ever had. It is quite easy. He put mozzarella and anchovy fillet inside of each flower and then coat with egg batter. When served hot, outside is crispy and inside melt in your month. Mozzarella and anchovy are the perfect combination. As for zucchini flower itself I am not sure what exactly is the taste, but it gave some texture. Anyway it is exotic for me. I want to eat more flowers!

No comments: